CHRISTOLOGY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree?

Go down

Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree? Empty Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree?

Post by Admin Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Writes Jarislav Pelikan, a distinguished Christian scholar:

But the “Logos of God,” when applied to Jesus Christ meant far more than “Word of God,” more even than divine revelation; there were many other Greek vocables that would have sufficed to express that much and no more, and several of them were being used in the New Testament and in other early Christian literature. Employing the specific name Logos implied in addition to this that what had come in Jesus Christ was also the Reason and Mind of the cosmos."

Admin
Admin

https://christology-room.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree? Empty Re: Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree?

Post by Jenna H Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 am

I agree. In my experience, people see "Logos" translated as the "Word" and then get confused. Some people I have met think that the Word of God refers to the Bible, but it is infinitely more. I think this misunderstanding is where Sola Scriptura comes from. Some people think that God has only spoken through the Bible, that God's Word is found only in the Bible and not in the Magisterium of the Church. The truth is that, though the Bible is true, it is not the only truth. It is not the only thing that God has ever said. God is infinitely creative and is not limited to the Bible or even by human words.

Jenna H

Back to top Go down

Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree? Empty Re: Is the English translation of the Greek Logos to “Word”(John 1:1) a profound loss for Christology. Do you agree?

Post by Admin Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Jenna!
nice to read your post!
I think you are exactly right on narrowing Christian understanding what is found in the bible. I think as well your connecting the Reformation's sola scriputura to the poor translation of "Logos" as Word is worth thinking about.  
"God is infinitely creative and is not limited to the Bible or even by human words." I surely agree.

Jenna, from our conversations I know that your spiritual journey has had many interesting seasons and realizations. If you care to share any of your journey with us, please see our section for contemplative accounts of the journey.  Find the general topic, "Prayer life and Christology" click on it, and you'll, the subtopic" "Your spiritual journey? Please share...."

Just a thought, welcome!

Admin
Admin

https://christology-room.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down