CHRISTOLOGY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reflexive Mind/ Enlightenment ?

2 posters

Go down

Reflexive Mind/ Enlightenment ?   Empty Reflexive Mind/ Enlightenment ?

Post by rpw8 Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:13 pm

I use to read and listen to Eckhart Tolle and other teachers who had gone the way of eastern practices such as Hindu, Buddhist, Zen etc. Too many to mention.   I had seen Byron Katie a long time ago where she does have some degree of eastern thought/non dual but as much as I like Tolle his message feels different to me.  Maybe a bit more universal appeal to a degree. A line seems blurred to me to say everything is non dual and really call it something else entirely.  It's seems easy to dismiss the whole notion of non dual which I never like the term.  I use to read a lot of those.  Granted, I read I Am That by Sri Nisgaradatta, a powerful read in it self.  I like much what he says.  I am not so sure what they experience has anything to do with the reflexive mind BR brings up.  So, you can be enlightened so what.  To be human and to be divine not sure about that one, either.  Too many people have had those kundalini experiences and thinking it's some extraordinary experience.  No denying I got sucked up in that for a time.  

So the question is whatever enlightenment is can a Christian who doesn't practice have that experience ?  BR says everything comes and goes.  I seriously doubt any Christian Mystic has been enlightened.  Enlightenment seems more of a eastern notion to me.  If anyone has had any experience similar to BR then sure it seems based on the reflexive mind without it I don't see it happening.  I had caught some interviews with  Jim Carrey, the comedian,  recent comment during award shows or interviews saying, "You are not a person."  So, that is fine.   Just me, as I wouldn't want to offend anyone but Tolle for example had been so much in despair, as he slept homeless on a park bench, had his moment of awakening.  Whatever you call it, I realize it can happen to anyone be it Christian or not.  Not saying it has anything to do w/ religion.  Seems a bit peculiar though.  Can't seem to figure videos on you tube that have Christian's having kundalini experiences.  I understood a kind of mushroom in Central/South America can produce results though not necessarily a permanent thing for some.  As BR goes the best experience is no experience at all.

rpw8

Back to top Go down

Reflexive Mind/ Enlightenment ?   Empty Re: Reflexive Mind/ Enlightenment ?

Post by rpw8 Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 am

They woke up is nothing authentic. The BR on Reflexive mind thing takes a reread, constantly for me. At times I think I understand it but I don't seem to retain the info. It's kind of complex for my mind. Other times I think I get 'IT'. The whole thing of Enlightenment is really an eastern idea for sure. The way BR says "the mind bends on itself" is a bit perplexing for me, too. How do you see it or understand it ? I will have to read it again. Not sure what article you are speaking of online ? Hope you are feeling better

rpw8

Back to top Go down

Post by rpw8 Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:28 pm

I had tried watching BR DVD w/ the circles. It was never something I could grasp. I often found myself watching it and nodding off to it, a lot. It was over my head for a long time. I couldn't stay engaged. I got the journey part as she talked through the circles but again it didn't grab me as much as I tried. On the other set of DVDS I was glued. I should try again it has been a long time. The material seemed very dry by no fault of BR. Think it was 3 plus hours.

It seems everyone may have vary degrees of a breakthrough. Didn't know about Meister Eckhart conversion. I thought I wrote somewhere I have read, "What is Self." It was/is my favorite because I was fascinated by the Reflexive mind. Reading a number of her materials requires a need a repeating rereads. (Bit redundant) I can only grasp so much material at once, because it's heavy and at times difficult to stay attentive. Maybe, slightly A.D.D.

rpw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm

P,
Prayer is our rapport with God. So whatever brings me into the Presence of God, or expresses my desire to cling to God, is legitimate in prayer. Personally, I try to get my mind as quiet as I can-- that's when I feel I am open to God's Presence.

So my question about prayer is only: 'What brings me to God?" Bernadette's early prayer life has nothing to do with it. Not once in all the retreats I have been on with Bernadette has she given "instructions in prayer" or some specific "technique." Rather, she always accents our rapport with God is one to One. Each of use who aspires to love God, knows when we are being true to God in prayer and moves intuitively with that. Each person must reach out to God in prayer as best as she and he can, with love.

So I have tried many approaches in my life, and this is my criterion: Does it bring me to God.

Personally I use a mantra in mediation to keep my focus on God. I bring this up not to recommend it to you --your prayer life is your own-- but just to illustrate. It works for me to authentically express my rapport with God this way. I use the single word "Supreme" (because it 'works' for me, invites love of God in me) and use it to bring me to inner Silence, in which I feel in rapport with God...then I let go of the mantra, and say it as I please to keep my focus.

We can talk more about this, and explore approaches to prayer-- do you want to? I would enjoy that. Just to explore what 'works' for each of us.
Joe

Admin
Admin

https://christology-room.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rpw8 Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 am

Can't really say The Real Christ lead me to a silence. It's hard to pinpoint for me. I do feels it draws me closer to the Truth. Which, no doubt I live for. For the first time, which I should of done, just read selective parts as it's impossible to read in one big swoop, cover to cover. The main ones I wanted to cover were The Incarnation, Logos, which I am on now. Couple of others for sure, that aren't real clear to me. I have the big binder of The Real Christ and it's great for highlighting. If a some point I do find a word for my Centering Prayer, which I do have in mind, I will give it a try. It' all meaningful to me.

rpw8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum