CHRISTOLOGY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some say that the Christian mystics’ description of “ecstasy” (God's temporary suspension of self) reveals that divine truth is beyond self. If that is so: is our eternal life of Glorified, Heavenly Christ also beyond all self?

Go down

Some say that the Christian mystics’ description of “ecstasy” (God's temporary suspension of self) reveals that divine truth is beyond self.  If that is so:  is our eternal life of Glorified, Heavenly Christ also beyond all self?   Empty Some say that the Christian mystics’ description of “ecstasy” (God's temporary suspension of self) reveals that divine truth is beyond self. If that is so: is our eternal life of Glorified, Heavenly Christ also beyond all self?

Post by Admin Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 am

Mystical Ecstasy: Raised beyond Self's Knowing

Imagine coming home one day and being greeted by your dog. But today is different. Instead his excited barking as you turn the key, silence; and when you open the door, your dog calmly says with perfect articulation, “How are you?”
Somehow taking this magic in stride, you answer him, then sit with a cup of tea and talk together. He listens to you with full understanding, nods his head empathetically, and interjects thoughtful comments like: “I’m glad you told your boss how you felt about the extra paperwork.”

For your dog to so communicate with you, his power of knowing would have to be miraculously raised to a human level. That is because to truly know someone, one has to share her nature, participate in her level of being-- experience the same dimension of life that she is in. That is why only human beings can truly communicate with each other, and deeply know each other: our pets, of course, are dear to us, and they know us in a certain manner, but not with full human understanding. We humans know each other because we inhabit a distinctly human dimension of thoughts and words and self-consciousness.

This delivers us to an incredible, but unavoidable conclusion: Just as your dog could only be raised to your deepest human feelings and thoughts through magic , so for us to really know God, you and I will have to be raised by divine magic to God’s own level. To really know God --not from the outside-in but from the inside-out-- God will have to raise us by grace to a full participation in divine nature. This is the fulfillment of the Way, the Way of Christ’s Mysteries: by recapitulating His Mysteries in us, the Holy Spirit transforms us into the One Christ. Beyond self, there is just one Knowing, that is the Mind of Christ, the Logos' own very Knowing, that our Knowing will be exactly that, by grace, no less. “We will be just like him, for we will see him as he is” (1 John 3:2).

“Please, more!” we say, following Abraham’s lead, who begged and bargained with God to save a doomed city (Genesis 18:22-32).
We say: “How about seven-five percent, Lord-- let us know seventy-five percent of your Being!”
“No more than seventy-five.”
“Eighty, Lord?”
“No more than eighty percent of Me.”
“Please: ninety-nine!”
“Your shall know ninety-nine percent of Me, but no more.”
“A hundred! A hundred! A hundred!”
“Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world” (Matthew 25:34).
-from Joe Conti's "Holistic Christianity: the Vision of the Catholic Mystics"
(Paragon Publishing 2005) on Amazon.

Admin
Admin

https://christology-room.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down